Thursday, July 2, 2009

they're perfect!


My husband has taken to making his own signature cinnamon rolls... totally from scratch. He's kind of an over-achiever type of baker, never really settling for "good". He tweaks and manipulates recipes until, in his mind, it is pure perfection. I won't even begin to count the number of times he has messed with his Swedish pancake recipe. He has yet to find that perfect blend of the few ingredients that make this dish, and I am always hoping that this time will be "the one", but no such luck thus far. One day he will tell me that they are perfect and I will breathe a huge sigh of relief. Because really, it is no fun to see him take a bite and shake his head and mutter something under his breath about more salt and less vanilla ... Until then, I am on the edge of my seat every time he makes them, hoping for the deep sigh of satisfaction and big smile that accompanies something he finds impossibly delicious.
Thankfully, my heart is happy now that his hand crafted cinnamon rolls have brought much joy into our household. When I walk downstairs to the kitchen and I can smell their sweet goodness baking in the oven, I could almost shed a few tears of joy. But, I choke them back, knowing that he would either be impossibly flattered or think my hormones have gone completely haywire. I don't want him to think the latter is true, so instead I simply let him know that when they are ready, I would love a bite. They are, no doubt, the best I've ever had. I told him so, and he smiled and said he thought so too. There's nothing wrong with being a little confident in the kitchen, especially when you've worked that hard for it :)

3 comments:

Dani McDowell CD(DONA) said...

hehe! Way to go T!!! Ye-eah!!!
Ah yes, maybe you can even have one after giving birth... it was quite the replenishing treat for me (oh and Matt! :)

Jess said...

Wow, those look so good!

Malena said...

Only because it was the night of Greta's birth can I say that trying those FROM SCRATCH cinnomon rolls de Tim was the SECOND most phenomenal thing in a 24 hour period!! Seriously- I was awed! But I shouldn't be- knowing T as well as I do now, I should know that he is up for trying and perfecting anything worth doing at all! Congrats on the rolls, bro-in-law. :)