Wednesday, December 29, 2010

cabin and mt. rainier adventure

Did I mention before that I am a few months behind on blogging? Just in case it isn't obvious... :)

So anyway...
In August we went up the Nelson Cabin for a few wonderful days. As usual, we had a perfect time there enjoying nature and each other. Tim and I always bring lots of reading material up there, so of course we do the same for the little ones. Have to start them early on one of life's greatest pasttimes!
The boys had a blast taking a bath and Timmy enjoyed his first time at the cabin without having to sleep in a "special bed" (pack and play). He did great!


This time we thought it was time to make a day trip up to Rainier while we were there. It was definitely the right choice. The boys did great on the drive up and Timmy loved feeling the wind fly through his fingers as they hung out the window.




\




 In my mind, there is no question why this place is called Paradise. 
I can't get over the green. It was everywhere, and it was gorgeous. 

  

I feel like I see this face on Timmy so much. He saw snow in the distance and wanted to get closer. He saw the waterfall and wanted to jump in
(more about that in a mintute). He becomes so focused, so intent, so serious when the wheels are turning in that brain and all the while he is asking a thousand questions.
You might think that is an exaggeration. But, have you spent a day with Timmy? Well, have you? :)
 And then he breaks into his big goofy smile and when he laughs it reminds me
 that he is only three, and I start to breathe a sigh of relief that I still have many more years of answering all these questions for him. After all, there is still so much more to learn in this great big world.




Jackson loved being close in the pack, and Tim and I took turns carrying him. He was content to look around and occassionally indicated that he wanted a cracker or a piece of dried fruit. Typical hiker :)


Like I was saying before, the waterfall was highly appealing for my son. There are times when trying to get a picture with your little ones in front of some beautiful scenery is more of a challenge than you're up for. He may have even mentioned getting in the water a few times. All I know, is  that I was holding on tight.  Who needs people in their pictures,  anyway?
Picture on the right: YOU are the winner! :)


Poor deer, we had to interrupt his afternoon snack. Sorry buddy, you were cute!


























This random guy offered to take our picture...

He was hilarious. He offered to us in English, and for the next three minutes he spoke non-stop in another language. It was three minutes of confusion and  I have no idea what he was saying but I think he liked my camera. I did manage to tell him thank him for the family picture and grab my camera before he went along his way.
Timmy found this little cave on one of the hikes and he spent so much time in there that we eventually just handed him the rest of his sandwich to eat inside of the cave. Gotta keep the little bear cub happy.





























Tim and I are convinced that this lodge on Rainier shall be the destination of a future date night. Super romantic!














I had so much fun with my Jackie.



My favorite part from the trip down the mountain, aside from the beautifule scenes? The sun was creeping off and on through the trees. At the time, Jackson was rear-facing in his carseat, so the sun continued to get in his eyes every few minutes and he would fuss. I told Tim I thought Jack was getting bothered because the sun was in his eyes. Timmy overheard me and took matters into his own hands, using our guide to Mt. Rainier as a custom sun shade for little brother. Yep, that was my favorite part right there.
At the time I pressed the button to snap this picture, I noticed the clouds creeping through, invading my view of the mountain. Of course I took it anyway, because it was still so beautiful.
Ahh. This is life.
If you don't focus on the beauty of right now, these little moment's slip away. Life's not about to start getting perfect on you, so why wait?
 Can you imagine what you would miss out on if you didn't?







No comments: